TH Essentials: Kidding Around West Texas
We camped at four parks and visited multiple sites during our eight-day, 1,500-mile road trip. Details on sites mentioned in the story follow.
1. Davis Mountains State Park is about three miles northwest of Fort Davis off Texas 118. Indian Lodge offers hotel lodging, dining, and a swimming pool. Call 432/426-3337.
2. McDonald Observatory is at 3640 Dark Sky Drive, about 16 miles west of Fort Davis on Texas 118. Call 877/984-7827.
3. Balmorhea State Park, featuring a 1.75-acre spring-fed pool, is four miles southwest of Balmorhea on Texas 17, in Toyahvale. Call 432/375-2370.
4. Big Bend National Park is about 75 miles southwest of Alpine via US 90 and US 385. Call 432/477-2251.
5. Garner State Park is at 234 RR 1050. Call 830/232-6132.
6. South Llano River State Park is about five miles south of Junction via US 377. Call 325/446-3994.
From the May 2013 issue.
Order back issues