Roadtrip (Archive) (415)
For detailed information about Athens area attractions, accommodations, and restaurants, please visit www.AthensTX.org or write to the City of Athens, Department of Tourism, 124 N. Palestine, Athens, TX 75751, or call toll-free at 888/294-2847.
Things to Do
- Averaging between 35’ - 50’ of underwater visibility, there’s no telling what you’ll see in the spring-fed lake at Athens Scuba Park. 903-675-5762
- In 1983, the Cain Foundation built and donated the Cain Center and Cain Park to the people of Henderson County. Since then, it has served all of East Texas, both as a fitness center with its many exercise areas, and as a civic center with rooms available for a wide variety of functions. 903-677-2000
- More than 1,200 domestic and exotic animals find solace in the 1,300 acres of the Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch near Athens making it America's largest and most diverse animal sanctuary. 903-469-3811
- Experience the awe and splendor of a variety of colorful gardens year-round at the East Texas Arboretum. Two miles of nature trails offer a quiet woodland retreat. 903-675-5630
- Large or small, livestock, business, or special event - there's always something going on at the Henderson County Fair Park. 903-670-3324
- Step back in time at the Henderson County Historical Museum and experience life the way it was at the turn-of-the-century. 903-677-3611
- Leave your fears behind as you experience the thrill of a NY-TX Zipline Adventures. 903-681-3791
- Atop a hillside, the stately Murchison home stands as a sentinel watching over lush vines and greeting guests to the Tara Winery. 903-675-7023
- Get eye-to-eye with some of the largest freshwater fish in captivity, then try your hand at catching fish in the casting pond at Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center. 903-676-2277
For a information on hotels, motels, bed & breakfasts, restaurants and events, visit www.AthensTX.org.