Skip to content
×

Warning

JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 303

The Quanah Parker Trail: A Panhandle-Plains Trek

See related: Quanah Parker Trail

The Quanah Parker Trail is a project of the Texas Plains Trail Region, a participant in the Texas Historical Commission’s Texas Heritage Trails program. Each site on the Quanah Parker Trail will be marked with a 23-foot arrow and a monument describing a connection to Comanche chief Quanah Parker.

The Hardeman County Historical Museum is at 105 Green St. in Quanah. Call 940/663-5272 or visit 102 Mercer St. to arrange a tour.

Red’s Drive In is at 103 E. 11th in Quanah. Call 940/663-5087.

For details about the Downtown Medicine Mound Museum, in the old Hicks-Cobb General Store building, see http://downtownmedicinemound.com. 

Copper Breaks State Park is at 777 Park Road 62, between Quanah and Crowell. Call 940/839-4331.

The Foard County Historical Museum/Fire Hall Museum is at 116 N. Main St. in Crowell. Limited hours and no phone; email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. 

Gentry’s Country Store is at 101 S. Main in Crowell. No phone; generally open daily.

The Longhorn Ranch Steakhouse (open Fri. and Sat. for dinner only) is 10 miles west of Crowell at 5315 US 70.  Call 940/655-3444.

To reach the marker commemorating Cynthia Ann Parker’s recapture in 1860, turn east on FM 3103 from Texas 6 between Crowell and Quanah and travel 4.5 miles. Continue east on FM 98, turn north on CR 246, then go east on CR 231 for one mile. The marker is on the north side of the road.

The Comanche Springs Astronomy Campus is on 4187 FM 654, about 14 miles southwest of Crowell. Call 940/684-1670.

Bob’s Oil Well is at US 70 and Texas 70 in Matador.

The Scurry County Museum is at 6200 College Ave. in Snyder. Call 325/573-6107.

To find the monument to the Battle of Adobe Walls, travel 24 miles north from Borger on Texas 207, turn east on FM 281 at the green sign, and go another 15 miles to the monument.  For more details, call the Hutchinson County Historical Museum, 806/273-0130.

The U-Drop Inn is at 105 E. 12th St. in Shamrock. Call 806/256-2501.

To see items belonging to Quanah Parker and his family, visit these spots:

In Claude, the Armstrong County Museum (120 N. Trice St.) displays a beaded purse that belonged to one of Quanah Parker’s wives. Call 806/226-2187.

In Tulia, the Swisher County Archives & Museum (127 SW 2nd St.) displays a robe worn by Quanah Parker during peyote ceremonies. Call 806/995-2819.

In Canyon, the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum (2503 4th Ave.) features one of Quanah Parker’s headdresses on rotating display. Call 806/651-2244.

Back to top