1. Use a 4 ounce individual weight quail.
2. Lightly season quail with lemon pepper.
3. Wrap quail in bacon from ankle to neck with legs together.
4. Place on pit rack at temperature of 225 degrees. Cooking time will be approximately four hours.
5. During the last hour, begin checking the temperature every 15-20 minutes. Temperature should be checked by inserting a meat thermometer deep into the meaty part of the breast without touching bone.
6. Remove the quail at a temperature of 165 degrees. Bacon should be cooked brown so do not remove any earlier.
7. Serve, or hold at 140 degrees.
From the March 1987 issue.