- 2 c. sour cream
- 1 (1/4-oz) packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 c. warm, but not hot water
- 1/4 c. butter or margarine, softened
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- about 6 c. flour, divided
- 1 1/2 c. finely chopped dried apricots
- 3/4 c. drained, finely chopped maraschino cherries
- 3/4 c. candied pineapple
- 1/3 c. melted butter or margarine
- Thin Icing (see recipe, below)
- red and green maraschino cherry halves (optional)
- mint leaves (optional)
Hear sour cream over low heat just until lukewarm. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in sour cream, 1/4 c. softened butter, sugar, salt, eggs, and 2 c. flour. Beat until smooth. Mix in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
Turn dough onto well-floured board; knead until smooth (about 10 minutes).
Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover; let rise in warm place util double, about 1 hour.
Punch down dough; divide into 3 equal parts. Roll each part into a rectangle 15x6 inches; place on greased baking sheet.
With pizza cuter or scissors, make 2-inch cuts at 1/2-inch intervals on long sides of rectangles (will resemble fringe).
Combine apricots, cherries, and pineapple; spread 1/3 of mixture down center of each rectangle.
Starting at the bottom, crisscross strips over filling. Stretch dough to 22 inches; curve to form cane.
Bake at 375 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. While warm, brush with melted butter, and drizzle canes with Thin Icing. Decorate with cherry halves, chopped apricots, and mint leaves, if desired.
- 2 c. confectioners' sugar
- 2 T. water
Blend ingredients together. If icing is too still; stir in a few drops of water.