- 1 c. celery
- 1/3 c. chopped Bermuda onion
- 1/3 c. chopped green onion
- 1 c. chopped sweet bell pepper (red or green)
- 2 T. butter
- 1 1/2 T. each flour and butter for paste
- 1 can (12-oz) apricot nectar
- 1 tsp. prepared mustard
- 1 T. white wine vinegar
- 1/4 c. catsup
- 1/4 c. apricot preserves
- 2 1/2 c. ham (cooked and diced or sliced)
- 4 c. rice (cooked)
Sauté onions, bell pepper, and celery in butter on low heat slowly for five minutes.
Separately, melt second portion of butter and mix in flour for a paste. Add apricot nectar, mustard, wine vinegar, catsup, and preserves, and season with salt and fresh cracked pepper. Add onions, bell pepper, and celery to thickened nectar mixture. Stir until smooth.
Add ham and heat thoroughly on low heat for 20 minutes. Serve on rice. If desired, reserve 2 T. each of red pepper and celery for garnish. Choose Fall Creek Vineyards' Chenin Blanc or Val Verde Winery's Lenoir to complement this dish.