Toss this pesto with steamed squash, or try it stirred into rice or pasta salad. Of course, it’s good spread on toasted baguette slices, perhaps topped with chopped Roma tomatoes, grilled shrimp, and a few pumpkin seeds. Or try it on warm corn tortillas.
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 c. Italian parsley (or basil)
- 1/2 c. oregano (including 2 T. Mexican oregano, if possible)
- 1/4 c. pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 1-2 serrano peppers, seeded and minced, or more to taste
- 3/4 c. olive oil additional olive oil
In a blender or food processor, blend all ingredients except the olive oil. Slowly add 3/4 c. olive oil, and blend until smooth. Use immediately, or spoon into a jar, cover with a thin layer of olive oil, and refrigerate until needed.