Mohamed Hamed of Sammy’s Lebanese Restaurant in Houston provides this recipe for tabouli, a Mediterranean salad. At Sammy’s the tabouli comes to your table mounded on a cabbage leaf.
- 1/2 c. fresh lemon juice (juice of 4 medium lemons)
- 1/2 c. cracked wheat (burghoul [bulgur] #1 fine)
- 2 medium-size yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 T. salt
- 1 T. cinnamon (optional)
- 1 lb. (5 bunches) parsley, chopped with a knife
- 1 lb. (4 medium) tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch (about 6 sprigs) fresh mint, finely chopped, or 2 T. dried mint leaves
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 c. olive oil cabbage or Romaine lettuce leaves additional tomato, chopped (optional)
- additional mint (optional)
Combine lemon juice with cracked wheat in a small bowl, and set aside while chopping other ingredients. Combine chopped onion with salt and cinnamon, and add to cracked wheat mixture.Combine parsley, tomatoes, mint, and green onions in a large bowl. Add the cracked wheat mixture and olive oil, and mix well. Chill. Serve on cabbage or Romaine lettuce leaves. Garnish with additional tomato and mint, if desired. Yield: About 14 servings.