These hearty beans can be cooked in a Dutch oven over coals on the ground, on a grill, or even inside on your stovetop.
- 1 link (about 4 oz.) chorizo or other spicy sausage
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 1/2 c. fresh-cooked black beans, drained, or 2 (15-16 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 T. mescal or tequila juice of
- 1 lime
- 3 T. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2-3/4 c. crumbled goat cheese, queso fresco (a fresh Mexican cheese), or grated Monterey Jack, at room temperature (optional)
- lime wedges (optional)
Place chorizo in a Dutch oven, and fry over medium heat until just cooked through. Remove chorizo with a slotted spoon, and set aside. Drain fat, leaving a thin film on the bottom of the pot. Sauté garlic in remaining fat for a minute, or until just lightly colored. Return chorizo to Dutch oven. Add beans, mescal, and lime juice, and stir well. Place Dutch oven over medium heat, and simmer briefly (until beans are heated through). Stir in cilantro, top with cheese, and garnish with lime wedges, if desired. Yield: 6 servings.