Yield: 10-12 servings Frozen green beans work fine in this recipe. Just prepare them without salt according to package directions, and drain well.
- 6 c. (about 2 lbs.) fresh green beans
- 6 to 8 slices crisply cooked low-sodium bacon
- 2 (10 3/4-oz.) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (3-oz.) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 (1-oz.) envelope onion soup mix
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. crushed dried oregano
Wash beans and remove strings. Cut beans into pieces, if desired. Cook beans in unsalted water, covered, until crisp-tender; drain. Place beans in a large bowl. Chop or crumble 4 or 5 slices of bacon., and add to beans, along with soup, mushrooms, onion soup mix, and oregano. Stir well, and refrigerate overnight, covered, to allow flavors to blend (very important). Bake in a 3-quart casserole, uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. Garnish with remaining bacon before serving.