James Stuart, owner of J-S Chuckwagon, says one of the secrets of successful Dutch-oven cooking is to keep less heat under the bottom of the pot than you do on the top. Serves 20-25.
- 1 1/2 lbs. thick-sliced bacon, cut into 1-inch squares
- 4 medium onions, sliced
- 2 cloves elephant garlic, crushed
- 10 lbs. potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8-in thick
- 2 8-oz. jars Cheez Whiz
- 1 c. milk (if potatoes seem dry)
- 6-8 slices American cheese
Stir-fry bacon, onion, and garlic until bacon is done. Add potatoes to mixture, and stir gently until potatoes are coated with bacon fat. Remove from heat. Put mixture into heated 14-inch Dutch oven. Place lid on oven, and place hot coals on the lid. Cook over hot coals 15-20 minutes. Add Cheez Whiz (and milk, if needed), and stir gently. Heat thoroughly. Add layer of cheese slices on top, and heat until cheese in melted and lightly browned. Sprinkle with paprika.