Possum Kingdom Lake lies 90 miles west of Fort Worth, in Palo Pinto, Stephens, Young, and Jack counties. For information on lodging (campsites, cabins, and resorts), restaurants, events, boat rentals, and all things PK, contact the Possum Kingdom Chamber of Commerce, 362 N. FM 2353, 940/779-2424 or 888/779-8330. The website also includes information on where to obtain fishing licenses and water recreation permits.
For information on the lake, parks/public-use areas, Observation Point (301 Observation Point Rd., just off FM 2353), Morris Sheppard Dam, and the hike-and-bike trails, contact the Brazos River Authority’s Possum Kingdom Project Office at 940/779-2321.
Following is contact information for sites mentioned in the story:
- Possum Kingdom State Park, 3901 Park Rd. 33, 940/549-1803. Cabins, campsites, a lodge, picnic areas, and hike-and-bike trails. Reach the State Park Store & Marina at 940/549-5612.
- Possum Kingdom Fish Hatchery, 401 Red Bluff Rd., offers free public tours, but you must call ahead; 940/779-2301.
- Golden Cove, 2334 Sandbar Rd., 940/779-2922. Eleven lakeside bungalows and boat rentals.
- The Cliffs Resort, 160 Cliffs Dr., 940/779-4040. Hotel, condos, and villa suites, along with The Chaparral Grille, tennis, golf, and boat rentals.
- Rochelle’s, 7024 N. FM 4, provides canoe rentals (and shuttle service) for excursions along a stretch of the John Graves Scenic Riverway, be-ginning at the Texas 16 bridge just below Possum Kingdom and ending at the US 180 bridge near Mineral Wells. Call 940/659-3341 or 940/659-2581.
- PK Speedway Family Fun Center, at the corner of Park Rd. 36 and Texas 16, 940/779-2185.