There’s renovation the way most of us do it—repainting the front door, updating the fixtures in the bathroom, hanging new window treatments—and then there’s renovation the way it’s been done in New Braunfels by the engineers, architects, and civic leaders behind the Comal County courthouse makeover. A decade in the making, the meticulously executed $8.6 million project has restored the stately limestone structure to its original 1898 glory.
Near the southern tip of Comal County, on a stretch of El Camino Real (The King’s Highway), lies the German-rooted community of Bracken. At the edge of town sits a retail community called Bracken Village, 10 acres of pastoral, oak-shaded grounds and gardens dotted with restored, German-style houses dating from the 1880s to the 1920s. Picket-fenced yards, a gingerbread-trimmed gazebo, winding, granite-graveled pathways, and several rustic outbuildings complete the impression that a Victorian village has been re-created for a movie set.